Advocacy and Policy
As the peak body for volunteering in Western Australia we work with policy makers at all levels of government. Public policy can help – or hinder – the inclusion, advancement and celebration of volunteering.
We seek to work constructively and proactively to support evidence-based policy that is reflective of the experience of volunteers and our members.
We work closely with Volunteering Australia and other state and territory volunteering peak bodies to advocate on issues of national importance and work collaboratively to align policy with industry best practice.
Volunteering WA is active in a number of policy initiatives including participation in the Minister for Volunteering’s Volunteering Community Reference Group and making or contributing to submissions and reports.
Our Volunteer Leaders and Volunteer Resource Centres Networks contribute to policy priorities and settings.
In addition to these more formal channels, we build relationships, undertake research and gather data and information to inform and support policy positions. This work can lead to the development of volunteering information resources such as fact sheets and other publications.
While the breadth of areas that volunteering touches on is highly diverse, common themes include the need for:
- Recognition of the diversity of portfolios which benefit and rely on volunteering
- Greater and more explicit consultation with and recognition of volunteering sector
- Funded national and state based volunteering strategies
- Increased investment in volunteering infrastructure and capacity
- New approaches to adapt to changes in volunteer participation.
Advocacy and policy submissions
See below for the public submissions we have made, solely or in collaboration with Volunteering Australia or volunteering peak bodies in other states or territories.
- Submission to the 10-Year Health and Social Care Workforce Strategy (September 2022)
- Open Letter to Minister Cook, Minister for State Development, Jobs and Trade; Tourism; Commerce; Science regarding: Lifting Accessibility Standards For New Homes In The National Construction Code (NCC) (August 2022)
- Volunteering WA Submission to the Department of Communities on the development of the WA Seniors Strategy (June 2022)
- Submission to the ABS on review of the General Social Survey (April 2022)
- Submission to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety on the Associations Incorporation Act Review 2022 (April 2022)
- Submission to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services on the Community Disaster Resilience Strategy (March 2022)
- Submission to the Independent Review of the 2021 Wooroloo Bushfire (October 2021)
- Submission on the National Mental Health Workforce Strategy 2021-2031 (September 2021)
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability (September 2021)
- Volunteers in Disability Support and COVID-19 Vaccinations: Position Statement (September 2021)
- Policy Submission: Indigenous Skills and Employment Program (September 2021)
- Submission to the Joint Standing Committee on the National Disability Insurance Scheme on the NDIS National Workforce Plan 2021-2025 (September 2021)
- Volunteers in Disability Support and COVID-19 Vaccinations Position Statement (September 2021)
- Reducing the Burden of Volunteer Screening (October 2021)
- Review of the EO Act (November 2021)
- Advocacy win: Changes to requirements for Volunteer Passenger Transport Drivers (June 2021)
- Submission to the Disability Royal Commission Inclusion Issues Paper (May 2021)
- Submission to the Consultation on the National Disability Employment Strategy (May 2021)
- Submission to the Select Committee on Mental Health and Suicide Prevention (March 2021)
- Submission to the Pathways and Participation Opportunities for Indigenous Australians in Employment and Business inquiry (April 2021)
- Submission to the Indigenous Voice Consultation (March 2021)
- Submission to the development of the National Strategy to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse (April 2021)
- Volunteering WA's Letter to Minister Saffioti re Passenger Transport Licensing (February 2021)
- Submission to the Australian Department of Health consultation on the Productivity Commission’s report on Mental Health (February 2021)
- Reportable Conduct Scheme Submission on Green Bill (January 2021)
- Volunteering WA’s 2021 State Election – Invest in Volunteering in Western Australia (December 2020)
- Response to consultation to inform the new employment services (December 2020)
- Submission to the National Disability Strategy (October 2020)
- Digital Inclusion in WA (October 28 2020)
- Roadmap to Recovery - Volunteering in Western Australia
- Letter to the Deputy Ombudsman regarding Reportable Conduct Scheme
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety
- Submission to the Select Committee on COVID-19
- Submission to the Senate Inquiry: Lessons to be Learned in Relation to the Australian Bushfire Season 2019-20
- Submission to the Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements
- COVID-19 #2 Safeguarding Volunteers and Volunteer Involving Organisations
- Department of Social Services VMA Review 2020
- COVID-19 #1 Volunteering and National Policy Settings
- COVID-19: Information for volunteers and Volunteer Involving Organisations
- Response to Aust. Government Compensation Scheme
Sample Policy and Procedures for Volunteer Managers
Volunteering WA has developed a sample Policies and Procedures handbook for use in not-for-profit organisations which can under Resources.
Volunteer Community Reference Group
The Volunteering Community Reference Group is established under the direction of the Hon Minister for Volunteering. The purpose of the Volunteering Community Reference Group is to provide a direct voice on volunteering issues from the sector to government.
View the members of the Volunteering Community Reference Group.
If you would like to provide feedback or please contact our Senior Policy Advisor at email@example.com.