Volunteering WA’s 2021 State Election – Invest in Volunteering in Western Australia
Our next State Election will be held in March 2021 – as the peak body for volunteering, we want to ensure that all relevant government parties are informed on the needs of the volunteering sector.
I am pleased to attach Volunteering WA’s 2021 State Election – Invest in Volunteering in Western Australia.
This document highlights the investment priorities to support volunteering in Western Australia:
1. Increase funding for volunteer recognition and celebration.
2. Provide adequate and secure funding for Volunteer Resource Centres.
3. Consider and consult on the impact of statutory changes to volunteering.
4. Adequately fund sector support, recognising the breadth of volunteering.
5. Harness technological innovation to facilitate volunteering.
Our Election platform has been informed by our interactions with our members and volunteers across the State.
Volunteering in WA needs your help. Consistent with national trends, there was a pre-COVID fall of 19% in formal volunteering – in WA that’s a loss of 130,000 volunteers in the five years to 2019. The pandemic highlighted that our community has a big heart and wants to help – but volunteering is not free.
I know many of you will already be familiar with some or all of the priorities, please review them and promote far and wide.
Thanks and kind regards,