An invitation to take part in the national consultation on the Department of Social Services Volunteer Management Program
Don’t miss this important opportunity to inform the future of federal funding for volunteering
You are invited to join mpconsulting and Volunteering WA for a consultation workshop to review the Department of Social Services (DSS) Volunteer Management Program (VMP). The workshop will focus around contributing ideas and discussion of potential new models for volunteering funding and service delivery. Together we will unpack the pros and cons of existing models and approaches, and focus on the needs, challenges and opportunities for change to maximise the potential of volunteering in both the Western Australian and national context.
This consultation is your opportunity to inform the future of federal funding of volunteering – whether in its existing VMP format, a new funding model, or not funded at all. With Western Australian numbers below the national average and significant gaps in volunteer support services across the state it is critical that WA’svoice is heard in this consultation.
Without federal funding for volunteer support services there would be a huge void in our sector. Volunteering support services will not be able to:
- Help you find suitable volunteers to match your needs
- Support good volunteer management practice through training, professional development, technology, research and resources
- Promote volunteering and volunteer opportunities and participation in the community
- Undertake important advocacy and policy work to advance volunteering
- Support your workload and save your volunteer program money and time
- Strengthen and connect Western Australian communities through volunteering
Volunteering is an issue of national interest and importance. Not only does volunteering (formal and informal) comprise our largest workforce by industry, it contributes significantly to the economic and social well-being of our nation, as well as our state and local community. Volunteering requires a whole of government investment from across all levels of government.
Below is a snapshot of the value provided by volunteering support services:
The consultation workshop will commence with an overview of the current VMP, the objectives and focus of the review and early observations (to test whether these resonate). The consultation will provide an opportunity for stakeholders to discuss:
- Strengths and weaknesses of the current VMP and volunteering support services
- Challenges and opportunities for volunteer management in the future
- Participants’ experience and knowledge of best practice models for volunteer support, development and management
- New ideas and innovations, and
- Ways in which the effectiveness and efficiency of the VMP could be improved.
Details of workshop
Date: 21 March 2018
Time: 10am – 12.30pm
Venue: City West Lotteries House
2 Delhi Street
RSVP By 14 March to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I can’t attend the workshop?
If you aren’t available to attend the workshop there are a number of ways you can still be involved in this important discussion:
- Complete a survey designed to obtain input from volunteers, volunteering support services and volunteer-involving organisations by 31 March 2018. The survey will be circulated at the end of January 2018.
- Email any feedback on your experience of the VMP or volunteering support services to email@example.com by 31 March 2018.